Ask a Dentist   »  

My tongue is always salty and getting tasteless. What to do to recover?

Question
My tongue is always salty and getting tasteless. what to do to recover?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

What you are having is dysguesia or bad taste in mouth. It can be due to dental caries, gastro-esophageal reflux disease,sinusitis causing post nasal drip or pharyngitis or strep infection.

It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.
5)     Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. It will help in lessening the taste. You can use some oral mouthwashes and take some vit C tablets also.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: My tongue is always salty and getting tasteless. What to do to recover? 33 minutes later
I forgot to write that there are tiny blisters and cracks on the edge of my tongue. It appears in every 2/3 months. Tongue become reddish as soon as I take milk products. also I was prescibed Rejunuron Inj. (once a week for 10 weeks and then once in a month to continue).

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 33 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You need to get an examination done from an ENT specialist as these can be due to canker sores, herpes sores or fungal infection. Food allergies can also give rise to this problem.

Take vitamin B 12 and vitamin C tablets for some days. Avoid spicy or acidic foods during this time.and if the symptoms persist then get an examination done from an ENT specialist.