My tongue hurts while brushing. What could be the reason?

My tongue has been hurting when it brushes up against my teeth and when i brush my tongue with my toothbrush (it slightly bleeds after) also looked in the back of my throat and there looks like there's a growth in it, though the angle could just be the tunnel in my throat, i really don't know, so i wanted to have it looked at, i have two pictures i will attach. if this is something worth getting checked out, please let me know
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Examination by Dr, check for fungi and exclude tum

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

What you observed behind the mouth , above the tongue is called the Uvula. It is a normal growth found in all healthy persons, important for swallowing.
The images behind the mouth at the level of the throat shows some whitish towards yellowish spots. The pain on pressing on the tongue deserves that a possible infection in the mouth.

The commonest mouth infection is caused by a fungus cells called Candida. The diagnosis is simple when examined, and drugs are abundantly present and effective. Antifungal drugs could be useful. Pain and wounds could necessitate use of oral antiseptics / analgesics.

Easy bleeding tongues are also seen commonly in people with mouth or oral (tongue cancers). The main risk factors in this case are smoking, advanced age and family history.

Chances of this being a tumor or cancer are however slim. But I strongly suggest you get a proper examination by your primary care physician. Feel free asking further follow up questions in case you have particular concerns. I shall be glad contributing to your well being. kind regards.

Bain LE, MD