My son tested negative for EB IGG and IGM. He

Question
My son tested negative for EB IGG and IGM. He presented 12 days ago with severe pharyngitis and low grade fever. He received a augmentin for 6 days and went to see his pediatrician for blood work. Since start of his illness he is extremely lethargic and only awakening for meals. He is a febrile and still lethargic. Yesterday i started him on amedrol dose pack and his pain from pharyngitis is subsiding but still cant get himself out of bed. No neck stiffness and no overt lymphadenopathy. Any thoughts/
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to some virus other than EBV

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Sore throat in children can be caused due to some viruses like Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) (causes mono), or some bacteria like Streptococcus (causes Strep throat). EBV antibody is negative and he has already received treatment with antibiotics. Irrespective of the cause, all you need to do is to ask him to gurgle with lukewarm water and recovery will occur in about a week or so. It is unlikely to last for more than 15 days (from when it started) although occasionally it does.

Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.