My right arm hurts and feels heavy, my right index finger and thumb are numb and fall asleep.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My right arm hurts and feels heavy, my right index finger and thumb are numb and feel asleep.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Feeling of numbness in the arm and fingers seems to be due to a nerve compression most likely related to degenerative changes in the cervical spine.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Methylcobalamin supplements are recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.