My piercings became infected. Using hydrogen peroxide on it. What else treatment should I take?

My ears have been pierced for over 35 years. One of my piercings became infected a few days ago. I removed the earring and cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide. Some pus came out. It is swollen, red, throbbing, and has hardened around the piercing. What else can I do to treat it?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

In view of symptoms, its obvious that the infection has spread to surrounding subcutaneous tissue.

This area is crucial and infection can spread rapidly.So I would recommend course oral antibiotics immediately.For pain and inflammation you can take oral analgesics.

If there is significant pus coming out then you need to drain it out.And if needed you can take doctor's help in this.

Keep the area covered with bandage.

Please ask if there are doubts or further questions.