My mother had colon cancer and 18 inches of intestine

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My mother had colon cancer and 18 inches of intestine removed. I find I have continually have polyps. My
LAST TEST FOUND 4 POLYPS AND 3 WERE PRE CANCEROUS. I am 74. How oft6en do I need to be retested?
My sister 73 just had major abdominal surgery at XXXXXXX Kettering in NYC. 17 hours on table found extensive cancer in abdomen which required many teams. Seems like the cancer exploded in her abdomen.
The second part of my question is that although I am losing inches not pounds, diabetic 2 with hypothyroidism, I have a very large stomach (looks like 9mos. pregnant
) at times with protrusions now bulging on my left side. Most apparent after eating. What can cause this. I have changed diet no processed foods, no red meat, no milk etc. I am concerned on two levels. 1) as cancer runs in family, 2) No matter what I do the bulging and enlarged (distended) stomach is not shrinking in size. What can I do?
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. If these polyps are completely removed endocopically then you shouldbrepeat colonoscopy after one year. and also, do CEA marker every 6 months. Also, occult bleeding stool test should be done once a year. Second, this bulge may be sign of hernia, diastasis recti or abdominal wall weakness and in these cases there is no treatment required. also, irritable bowel syndrome or gerd may cause this. it would be good to do abdominal ct scan if symptoms persist. wish you good health. regards