My legs have started hurting day and night in the

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My legs have started hurting day and night in the past month and is getting progressively worse. The pain is worse at night. After I sit for even a short period of time, I can hardly move my legs for a few seconds due to the pain.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
In the absence of any history of wear & tear or injury, constant calf muscle pain and swelling can be due to:
1. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, Vitamin D, Calcium, etc. which interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction.
2. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
3. Any fluctuation in blood pressure levels such as Hypotension.
4. Hormonal imbalance like Hypothyroidism.
5. Lack of adequate hydration, proper nutrition & good sleep.
6. Even emotional factors like stress/tension can lead to such symptoms.
7. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
8. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.

Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure and blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
So, it will be better to consult an orthopaedician & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal