My husband has been having a dull constant pain in

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My husband has been having a dull constant pain in his back right above his belt line for about six weeks. He is concerned.
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be back muscle strain

Detailed Answer:
Lower back pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.

Some other underlying causes like Sciatica, Spondylitis, Lumbar herniated disc, Degenerative disc disease, Isthmic spondylolisthesis etc should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: My husband has been having a dull constant pain in 41 hours later
Thank you for your answer Dr. I went over your response with my husband. I should let you know that my husband is no stranger to back problems. He has been to a Dr for degenerative disk disease...L4-L-5. Sciatica all the way down to his foot. He said this feels different. The pain feels like an organ pain...maybe his kidney. It starts in his back and extends at least eight inches horizontally through his right side.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be renal pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain can be due to a renal cause but this can be confirmed only after an ultrasound scan or an MRI scan. Renal stone or an infection needs to be ruled out.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.