My husband, 52, is complaining of tasting and smelling smoke

Question
My husband, 52, is complaining of tasting and smelling smoke when he belches x 1 day. Had a pain in right temple x 1 week which has resolved.
Posted Mon, 4 Dec 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The problem of GERD needs to be resolved first

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your husband's problem seems to be due to two different causes. The belching is a sign of gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). It is possibly due to some digestion product that he is getting the smoky sense. But more importantly, the issue of GERD needs to be resolved.

In order to relieve himself, he needs to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of his habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase his dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Regarding the pain in right temple, it is possibly due to an electrolyte imbalance. Taking juicy fruits and plenty of fluids or ORS (oral rehydration solution) should help (in case a subsequent episode occurs).

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: My husband, 52, is complaining of tasting and smelling smoke 3 hours later
Thank you so much. I will forward your suggestions to him and get back to you on his condition. I really appreciate your.
Sincerely,
April

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
I am glad that you like my answer. Feel free to ask me back in case of any health related questions that you may have.