My girlfriend has Maniac Depressive Illness. She takes the following

Question
My girlfriend has Maniac Depressive Illness. She takes the following medication. Cymbalta capsule 30 mg
Desyrel 25 mg
Rozerem 8 mg The problem at hand is as follows. She requires me to pay her every month to continue talking everyday. When I suggested she find some sort of job, she accuses me of not loving her. I really do love her and want to understand her illness. Is this kind of response typical of her illness? Do you think she knows any better? I feel she couldn't have any real relationship if it wasn't me for this reason. Does her illness make her behave in such a way that she doesn't know how to handle a relationship appropriately? I truly want to understand as I love her deeply.

Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a coping problem

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I appreciate your love for her. In our life we have to continuously face ups and downs. The better we deal with them, smoother is our life. But there are people who have coping problems, who cannot accept it when things do not work out the right way. They are likely to become manic or depressed. Some people alternate between the two. That is the case in the scenario of your girlfriend. You cannot expect her to be sensible. You cannot talk sense to her. That is the characteristic of such personality disorders.

I do not suppose that medication alone would help. You need to take her to a counselor. He would be able to help her understand her situation such that she can finally find her way out.

Let me know if I could help further.