My ears are always clogged feeling, itchy and runny. Am I suffering from any disease?

ENT Specialist
Question
My ears are always clogged feeling, Itchy and runny. I also notice my balance is off sometimes, especially if I move my head to fast or lean back in a chair...This is a recurring issue
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. First get your ears examined to rule out any ear wax build-up or any infection. This and the condition of your ear drums will decide the next course of action.

2. Dizziness due to the ears is rotational spinning (true vertigo). Do you have a feeling of imbalance or vertigo?

3. The balance system of the ears is responsible for maintaining balance during fast movements. This matches your discomfort during fast movements of teh head or leaning back in a chair.

4. Get your hearing levels and middle ear pressures checked (if the ear drums are intact) checked.

5. If your ears are normal and there is only imbalance, the symptoms and itching may be due to gastritis and acidity (Referred sensations).

6. If your ear examination reveals an infection (probably fungal), clearing it will help decrease your symptoms. Balance tests may be required to determine the exact cause of your dizziness. These an only be done on direct examination.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: My ears are always clogged feeling, itchy and runny. Am I suffering from any disease? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I noticed that you indicated "the symptoms and itching may be due to gastritis and acidity". I do have GERD/Acid reflux. How does this actually affect the ears and what can be done to treat the issue?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is a common nerve supply to a part of the ear and stomach. The Vagus (Tenth Cranial) Nerve is the longest Cranial Nerve in the body. The branch to the ear is known as Arnold's Nerve or Alderman's Nerve. Hence gastritis, acidity and GERD commonly causes itching in the ear.

2. Treating the GERD with anti-reflux medication and anti-allergic medication helps reduce the referred sensation.

Regards.