My cholesterol intake is very low, non-fat dairy, white meat

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
My cholesterol intake is very low, non-fat dairy, white meat chicken and fish, etc. yet my cholesterol levels are over 200. I take 2400mg of red yeast rice daily. What is going on?
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No direct relation between your fat intake and blood cholesterol

Detailed Answer:
Though reducing fat intake help in reducing the cholesterol, there is no direct relationship between fat intake and blood levels. it mainly depends on how your liver handles the fat that is absorbed from gut and over all calories intake.
Three main ways of controlling cholesterol is Diet and may be you should have dietary prescription from dietitian. Exercise of at least 45 minutes of walking daily. and more but not less. Third is medicines mainly statins but that depends on your overall cardiovascular risk based on your age, blood pressure, complete lipid profile values, weather you smoke or no and such of other factors. if you can attach full lipid profile report and answer above questions I shall be able to tell you need for medicines.
As last word if you regularly take alcohol stopping it can help.