My boyfriend has had a sudden onset of hives all

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
My boyfriend has had a sudden onset of hives all over his body with the exception of his neck, face and head on Sunday. He has been on Benadryl since Sunday afternoon and Benedryl and prednisone since Monday with very little relief. It seems to get better then it comes back with vengeance. Is there a shot that would help get rid of the hives any faster? Help! Very itchy and burning at times.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for hives

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist).
I have noted your concern.
I would suggest Inj Dexamethasone 2ml(8mg), IM or IV. It is longer acting as compared to oral prednisolone.
In addition I suggest oral antihistamines e.g either cetrizine 10mg or loratadine 10mg once daily for a few days..
Topically he may use a soothing lotion e.g calamine lotion.