My blood test report of amylase is show 150 U/L

Question
My blood test report of amylase is show 150 U/L which is higher than reference level (28-100). My present problem of stomach is gas , acidity and constipation. My LFT report is perfectly all right except ALKALINE PHOSPHATE 38.8 U/L which is lower that the reference level ( 53-138). USG of upper abdomen shows no abnormality of size and shape. I have high cholesterol and lipid and my current sugar level is 160 (Fast in).
Taking medicine my cholesterol lipid and sugar are now in normal range. I have shown my report to my doctor regarding my problem of gas and acidity I consulted with my doctor and he prescribed medicin of antacid and gas. He ignores my high amylase in the blood. Suggest me what to do regarding my high amylase?
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reduced gastrointestinal motility seems to be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation. Furthermore, this is the cause of gastroesophageal reflux.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.
* Try these steps and I expect the liver enzymes and amylase to regularize. The reduced level of alkaline phosphatase is not a cause for concern.
* You need to take regular medication to bring the blood sugar level in control. This is very important.
* Continue to take cholesterol reducing medicines.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: My blood test report of amylase is show 150 U/L 17 hours later
Thank you very much for your advice regarding my health problem.

Your advice has relived me from my anxiety due to change of some parameter in my blood test report which is done by thyrocare WELLNESS TEST.

Due to hyperglycemia and dibatese , I am taking Liapaglyn and Atrova 10 mg.

I am also patient of Bipolar disorder since 1997. At present I am taking medicine Lithca 450 SR, Qtipin Sr 200, Lonazip 0.25 mg. My Serum Lithium level is 0.65 mMol/L and Serum creatinine 1.11 mg/dl. To reduce my anxiety shall I strat takeng Prodep 20 mg ?.

You have advice me to take omeprazol daily before breakfast.

I Used to take omeprazol ocationaly . How many days shoul I continue omeprazole ,if want to take this medicine on regular basis?

Thanking you,

With Regards,

Subhasis Chowdhury

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take omeprazole regularly before breakfast for 6 weeks.

Detailed Answer:

Follow-up: My blood test report of amylase is show 150 U/L 12 hours later
I am worried about increase of amylase (150 u/l) in blood and for that reason my lipid profie and blood sugar is high? Is it sign of pancreatits?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related

Detailed Answer:
Amylase can rise in pancreatitis but in that case levels are a lot higher. I do not suppose the elevation in your case to be due to pancreatitis. It has no association or connection with lipid profile.