My alkaline phosphate level is 139. Should I be concerned?

My alkaline phosphate is 139. Should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later

Alkaline phosphatase is found mainly in the liver,bone , bile ducts and placenta in a pregnant female.

The normal ranges for blood tests may vary slightly from lab to lab but the general accepted range for alkaline phosphatase is 44 to 147 iu/l ( remember your lab may have different accepted ranges and it is important to check with them).
Based on the above range, your value would be considered normal and nothing to be concerned about.

if your value had been high it may have indicated: (1) liver disease such hepatitis, blockage of the bile ducts, gallstones, cancer, fatty liver
(2) bone diseases such pagets disease, rickets, osteomalacia (softening of the bones due to lack of vitamin D
(3) high levels of a hormone called parathyroid hormone
(4) leukemia ,lymphoma

I hope that this information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: My alkaline phosphate level is 139. Should I be concerned? 10 minutes later
My labs high normal was 127. Can this value fluctuate with diet?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

In most cases the test is done routinely and no preparation is required however some individual labs request that the person should not take anything to eat or drink for at least 10 hrs before because ALK may rise with intake, especially fatty foods.
If your doctor repeats the test then he or she may give this instruction to make sure this is not contributing to the level.
If the level is still high after these measures then, further liver function tests may be done to determine if the elevation is related to the liver (remember may also rise in other scenarios).If it is indicative of liver problems then further blood tests and imaging of the liver and rest of the abdomen will be considered.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions