My Triglycerides 91.00, HDL Cholestral 47.00 and LDL Cholestral 154.80. Prescribed Rosuvas-F. Guidance?

My Triglycerides is 91.00, HDL Cholestral 47.00, LDL Cholestral 154.80, VLDL Cholestral is 18.20. My Physician has prescribed me Rosuvas-F. I request to advise me suitably in this regard
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 22 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your medical reports. Your triglycerides are under best control, but, you have under control of Total and LDL cholesterol.

LDL cholesterol can be best controlled by adjusting dose of Rosuvastatin. But this has to be done under strict supervision of Physician/cardiologist.

So I suggest you to consult your treating Physician and discuss with him.

Follow-up: My Triglycerides 91.00, HDL Cholestral 47.00 and LDL Cholestral 154.80. Prescribed Rosuvas-F. Guidance? 14 hours later
I want to know the following
1) Whether there is any impact of TSH on Cholestral.
2) What precautions should be taken in taking eatables to control the cholestral.
3) Advise to reduce the TSH level
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 59 minutes later
Welcome back,

Answers are as below;

1. Yes,TSH has influence on Cholesterol metabolism. High TSH levels indicate Hypothyroidism and in this case there will be increased LDL and decreased HDL. Low TSH levels and high T3,T4 suggests Hyperthyroidism and in this case thre will be increased metabolism leading to decreased LDL.

2.Control of Cholesterol requires dietary control as well as medications if its not controlled by diet.
You should be cautious about what you eat.

-Avoid diet contain processed food - eating pizzas,burgers,fried items,oily foods and other quickly prepared food (junk)
- Restrict food with saturated fat (keep it less than 7% ), you can check the nutritional value of each food when you buy.
-Eat fist two to three times a week and avoid red meat.
-Exercise regularly- do aerobics

3.TSH level is controlled between 0.5 to 3.5 values-which is normal range, If you have High TSH value that means your thyroid is hypo-functioning, If your TSH is low below the normal values your thyroid is hyperfunctioning. In either case you should have to consult your physician,because it should be treated as soon as possible.

For hypothyroidism it will be treated with thyroxine external supplements,in case of hyperthyroidism it is treated by Anti-thyroid drugs.

Hope i have clarified your queries.
If you still face any doubts,let me know.

Follow-up: My Triglycerides 91.00, HDL Cholestral 47.00 and LDL Cholestral 154.80. Prescribed Rosuvas-F. Guidance? 2 hours later
Thanks for your kind advice. I would like to know one thing more whether Atorva is proper substitute for Rosuvas-F, prescribed by the attending physician for treating cholestral.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 51 minutes later
Welcome back,

Both the Atorvastatin and Rosuvastatin effectively controls your LDL and total cholesterol .Their mechanism of action is also same. So there is no confusion about both the drugs.

Only difference is dose.I will explain with an example Ex:-Rosuvastatin in the dose of 5 mg is as effective as 10mg of Atorva, Rosuvas in the dose of 10 mg is as effective as 20mg of Atorva vice versa.

Many clinical trials already proved that there is no difference in the cholesterol control,that one drug is superior than others. So its purely physicians choice.