My TSH level is 0.09. What does it mean? How to get treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
MY TSH LEVEL IS 0.09. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? HOW TO GET TREATMENT?
I've been suffuring with hypothyroid from last two years & taking 50mcg thyroxine tablet once a day. But last week when i got tested, my TSH level is 0.09 (hyperthyroid?). so TSH is fluctuating.
Can you plz guide me to take correct treatmnet.
My symptoms are:i lost 6kgs in 5 months, having fatigue,irritation,muscle weakness & general weakness
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for posting yor query.

Yes...your current TSH level suggest Drug induced hyperthyroidism.

Treatment of hypothyroidism is decided by TSH level.

Thyroid gland is highly unpredicatable gland, if ongoing damage by lympocytic infiltration is present then you may need higher dosage of thyroxine.

But if ongoing damage is stopped then the same dose may cause hyperthyroidism like picture.

You should consult with physician and endocrinologist and should go for reduced doase of thyroxine such as 25mcg.

You should go for repeat TSH after 1 month for recheck.

If TSH is still <0.35 then you should go for 12.5 mcg. If TSH is normal then you should continue with 25 mcg.

Yes...your all symptoms may de to hyperthyroidism.

You should also follow dietary changes: avoid cabbage,cauliflower and spinach,broccoli.
Take high fibre,low salt and low fat diet.

Put your views also.

Take care,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava