My SGPT and GGT level is high. Is it dangerous? What does this mean?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Doc XXXXXXX i just want to know if my sgpt and ggpt is high is it dangerous? What does this mean?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 1 hour later
Dear sir,
Thanks for writing in.
SGPT and GGTP are liver enzymes which can increase in a number of disease conditions.
The exact diagnosis will depend on the exact numerical value of these enzymes in conjunction with other liver function tests like S.Bilirubin, direct and indirect segments as well as SGOT, serum proteins etc..

These enzymes can increase in a variety of conditions including certain viral infections, alcohol consumption, certain drugs etc..
It is rather difficult to comment based on just the two enzymes you had mentioned. If you can provide me a little more background information and the entire set of results, we can discuss this further.

Follow-up: My SGPT and GGT level is high. Is it dangerous? What does this mean? 1 hour later
Doc, my sgpt is 47.09 u/l normal range here is upto 41u/l, sgot 27.96 u/l normal 41, protein total 7.91 g/dl normal 6-8, bilirubin total 0.41mg/dl normal 0-1.2, direct bilirubin 0.11 normal 0-0.33, indirect 0.3 normal 0-0.9, ggpt 71.08 u/l normal <60, and inorganic phosphorus 5.14 mg/dl normal 2.5-4.8.

Thank you very much doc for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 34 minutes later
Dear sir,

Thanks for the detailed report. The liver function seems to be alright. There is a very insignificant increase in SGPT and GGTP. Rest all are normal. This is not a thing of worry. If you consume alcohol you should try avoid. If you do not consume alcohol then you should check on your cholesterol. Avoiding fatty foods and brisk walking everyday for 30min should settle these enzymes. I suggest you repeat these tests again after 6 weeks. No medications are required at the moment.