My AST level is 41. Should I be concerned?

hello, my AST level is 41.. should I be concerned? I rarely drink but I quit smoking 2 years ago and i chew a lot of nicotine gum 4mg (10+ per day)
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 43 minutes later

I do not see any reason for concern.

The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is from 5 to 40 units per liter of serum (the liquid part of the blood).

Yours is 41 just above normal.

In absence of any health issue with your there is no need for concern. Again these liver enzymes carry importance only with clinical condition of patient. The treating physician putting everything together decides whether to treat it or not.

You should also stop taking nicotine gum by this time.2 years is a quite long time by which you should this.

If you can not stop on your own please take help from your doctor for this.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Follow-up: My AST level is 41. Should I be concerned? 36 minutes later
Thank you very much Doctor Vachharajani.

Is it possible that that the slight elevation (AST=41) is being caused by my nicotine gum usage? I will start drastically reducing my gum use until I am able to stop completely!

Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

It is difficult to say that nicotine gum is the culprit.

It is good that you have decided to quit nicotine gum.Keep it up.