My 21 year old son who is away at school

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
My 21 year old son who is away at school just called me and said he had about a golf ball size mass under his right rib cage that just showed up. No other symptoms but said it was tender. I am sending him to urgent care but I am several hours away from him. Worry?
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably an infected cyst or boil. Not much of worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query about your 21 year old son.
Golf size mass under rib cage that just showed up and tender in an young adult is most probably due to a infected sebaceous cyst or boil as the commonest cause I can think of.
Internal organs like gall bladder or liver pathology usually does not show as a tender lump under the right rib cage, hence not much to worry about.
Since he has gone to Urgent care a proper diagnosis and management will be done.
Please give me the feedback about the diagnosis and management done.

I hope this answers your query.