Must take Bifilac capsules daily to avoid mouth ulcers. Any other way ?

Question
I have to take daily Bifilac calsules as per doctrs' advise, else I get mouth ulsers. Is there any other way i can keep myself of mouth ulsers.
i am allergic to milk and has constipation problem.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later

Mouth ulcers can be due to many reasons like:-

1-Trauma to the mouth, sharp edge of a tooth, accidental biting, excessively salty food, hot drinks, trauma from a toothbrush may injure the mucosal lining of the mouth resulting in an ulcer.
2-Infections
3-Immunodeficiency and Autoimmunity
4-Allergy
5-Dietary-deficiencies of vitamin B12,and C,folic acid,iron and zinc have been linked to oral ulceration.

It is important to address the cause of mouth ulcer. Bifilac as rightly advised by your doctor is often helpful in treating mouth ulcer and if you are feeling better you should continue with it.

Please write back with ansers to these questions to help you better:-
-Since how long have you been having problam of mouth ulcers
-Since how long have you been taking Bifilac?
-As you are allergic to milk does taking of milk or its product cause you ulcers?
-Do you have any dental infection?
-Did you smoke or quit smoking recently?
- Have you been evaluate and a cause for recurrent mouth ulcers found?

Awaiting your reply.

Take care and Regards

Follow-up: Must take Bifilac capsules daily to avoid mouth ulcers. Any other way ? 17 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
- Mouth ulcers problem is more than 25-30 years old. initially I was advised to take B-Complex capsules . This helped me for around 15-20 yrs. When it stooped helping Doctor advised Bifilac (last 5 yrs). If i skip bifilac even for a day I get ulcers.
- In milk products I take curd( able to digest it eaisly), little bit of cheese (paneer) and some milk in Tea. As per my observation ulcers are not related to my milk products consumption.
- No dental infection/problem. Rather as per doctor my teeth are very good at this age.
- Never had smoking/Pan or pan masala/tobaco habit. Alcohol once in 10-15 days 30-40 ml.
- Doctors could not found any specific casue.
--> Earlier B-Complex was helpful to me now Bifilac. WHat is the similarity in these two and How Bifilac helps me. What is substitute of Bifilac in the form of diet (vegetables/fruits).
I take around 300-400 grams fruits 4-5 days in week and minimum oil/masalas in my diet, no fried food. My weight is 70 KG, height 5-8".

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 58 minutes later
Thanks for providing the details.
Since you have these ulcers from 25-30 yrs it is likely that it could be related to decreased immunity(autoimmune),poor oral hygiene and allergy causing this recurrent apthous stomatitis.
Since you tolerate milk product well it is less likely to have milk allergy.
If you have no dental problems, no smoking or tobacco other relevant causes are ruled out.
As you were benefited with B-complex and now Bifilac is helping you better you can continue it.
Bifilac is a probiotic containing Streptococcus faecalis, lactobacillus,and other healthy bacteria which help restore the flora of oral mucosa and B-complex is a combination of vitamins B1,B2,B6 and B12 with folic acid and both are not similar.
There is no food replacement of Bifilac.
Your height, weight is ideal and only problem is of the mouth ulcers and to reduce it you need to:-
-Maintain good oral hygiene by doing regular dental flossing along with regular brushing,
-Stop alcohol even as little as you take,
-Oral mouth wash with chlorhexedine or benzydamine may be helpful to reduce infection and pain respectively.
-Local application of oral gels like stomela, zytee may be useful,
-Coming back to your milk allergy please try to avoid milk and its product for a few days to rule out allergic cause,
-Avoid hard brushing and use a soft brush,
-It would be advisable to get checked blood levels of iron (ferritin) and vitamin B12.
Hope you find this answer helpful.
In case I have missed out on any of your concerns please write back.
Warm regards