Mushy, leaking tattooed skin, tender, warm, tightness, bruising, no pus, no foul smell, no deep pitting. Infection?

I got a tattoo six days ago (approx. 7" long, 2" wide, shading and coloring). I noticed that some of the tattooed skin appeared mushy, and leaked (plasma?) longer than the rest. The mushy parts have not healed properly and are tender to the touch, occasionally warm (though not always), and are scabbing badly. My skin feels tight and like I have a bruise. The scabs no longer leak, except right after I get out of the shower (when they're wet for a length of time), and then only for a few minutes (barely noticeable, except when patting with a paper towel) - it's like the crack for a minute. The rest of the tattoo is healing fine. There is minimal redness around the sore areas. I have had an infected tattoo before and this doesn't look quite like that - no puss, no foul smell, no XXXXXXX pitting. However, I am worried - does it seem to be an infection?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

The symptoms described by you are often found due to inflammatory changes. Superficial infection is a possibility and needs to be ruled out here.

Some times there can be mild amount of soakage is seen upto 3-4 days and is normal. Try to keep the area dry as much as possible.

You can apply neosporin powder or other OTC available topical antiseptic powders for early relief. Taking an antiinflammatory drug orally will help.

If the symptoms do not improve in 5-7 days or fever develops then you need to have oral antibiotics to control the infection. Consult your primary doctor in such cases to help you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.