Muscles around Adam's apple moving when I swallow. Have sore throat and throat tightness. Have pharyngitis and thyroid nodules

ENT Specialist
Question
I noticed when I swallow, I feel my muscle around my adam's XXXXXXX move forward seconds after swallowing? I have been having sore throat and throat tightness around the adam's XXXXXXX area for a week especially when i swallow. My doctor's did not notice anything other than pharyngitis. I also had my thyroid checked earlier via ultrasound. I have thyroid nodules but it was biopsied and found to be benign.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get the following investigations an videolaryngoscopy done:
a. Neck Ultrasound.
b. A videolaryngoscopy.
c. Barium Swallow study / GI endoscopy.
d. Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) / Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing with Sensory Testing (FEESST) are newer methods of evaluating swallowing problems.

2. The Adam's XXXXXXX (larynx) lies just in front of the opening of the food pipe (esophagus) has to move upwards and forwards to accommodate the food bolus on it's passage from the throat into the food pipe. I am not sure if you are experiencing an abnormal muscle movement much after swallowing like a regurgitation or a reverse peristalsis. There are many rare conditions that may cause this such as esophageal webs, pharyngeal pouches, cricopharyngeal muscle spasm ans so on. I have no idea as to your age, weight, blood tests (such as hemolglobin and thyroid function tests) or any means of direct observation. I suggest that you visit an ENT and GI specialist.

3. Acid reflux may also be involved. It may be a contributing cause of the irritation and spasms in the throat. Mucaine Gel and anti-reflux medication may help.

I must emphasize that this may not be an abnormality. It should be investigated so as not to miss any rare cause. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations, with images and video of the ultrasound, videolaryngoscopy and barium swallow study, if possible. This will help decide medication and further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Muscles around Adam's apple moving when I swallow. Have sore throat and throat tightness. Have pharyngitis and thyroid nodules 10 hours later
Dear Dr,

Take a look at this video to understand what I'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/2-4zwH1AHz0

After I swallow once, I feel a muscle contraction in the neck forward and upward, you can see it around 0:04-0:05. I don't know if this is normal. Can a cricopharyngeal muscle spasm cause this? I am 27 years old. I was diagnosed with thyroid nodules last week and my thyroid function tests are normal.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 18 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The movements seem normal.

2. Get the above tests done. If they are normal, there is no cause for worry.

Regards.