Muscle twitching in the leg, low potassium levels, vitamin D deficiency

Question
Last night after I went to bed I noticed a fluttering feeling in my right calf. the feeling was in lower calf area on inside of leg but more toward the side not back. Today, I noticed the same fluttering feeling but is moved to right thigh on out side about 5 inches above the knee.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later

This fluttering feeling in the calf muscle can be due to muscle twitching, pinching of nerve or muscle spasm. It can be due to overextension of the muscles, overweight, prolonged standing during the day, dehydration or alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low calcium, sodium or potassium level) or due to vitamin D deficiency. Rarely it can be due to neurological causes.

If there is any pain associated with this fluttering feeling then peripheral arterial disease is an urgent condition to be ruled out.

Follow these lifestyle measures for relief from symptoms. These include:

1)     Avoid prolonged standing throughout the day and take adequate rest by keeping your feet elevated.

2)     Take some multivitamin, multimineral supplements and get your vitamin D levels estimated.

3)     Eat a healthy diet and indulge in moderate exercises by joining a gym. If you are overweight then try losing some weight.

4)     If the symptoms persist then get a color Doppler of the peripheral arteries and a neurological examination done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.