Muscle twitching in the feet. Taken Lexapro and Cipralex. Due to medication?

Hi! I was wondering if you know if lexapro or cipralex can cause muscle twitching ( can be explained as bubble bursting or popcorn popping )? I used cipralex for almost 4 weeks. 5 mg the first five days,then 10 mg. After the 10 mg i noticed muscle twitcing espesially in my feet but also random places in my body. Never had this before. I stopped the medication a week ago because of this,and its not gone away yet :-( Can this meds have caused me permanent damage ? I am so afraid of this :-(
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later

Thanks for the query

Cipralex/Lexapro contains a drug known as Escitalopram which is usually given for depressive disorders. It has various side effects like nausea , vomiting, ejaculation problems, etc but muscle twitching is not one of them. So you will have to find out why there is muscle twitching, it could not have come because of Cipralex and also must add that please discontinue the tablets only if the treating doctor has asked you to because this drug is of immence help to you
Common causes of muscle twitching are due to dehydration and electrolyte disturbance (Sodium, Potassium, Calcium). Kindly XXXXXXX your family doctor for the muscle twitching and seek help for the same.
I advice you to contiue Cipralex as directed by your doctor

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.