Muscle spasms, tingling of scalp. Taking potassium supplements. Blood work and bone scan normal. Hormonal problems?

Allergist and Immunologist
Muscle spasms all over body random times a day no direct correlation with any physical activity or nutrition. Also intermitent tingling of the scalp mostly at night. All blood work ok and bone scan shows nothing. Could it be hormonal? Low or high estrogen or testosterone? Also I drink at least 8 bottles of water a day and feel dehydrated if I go one day only drinking a couple. Any help would be appreciated. I take potassium supplements daily.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 37 minutes later
Hello XXXX,

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

As you take potassium supplements, it is important that you regularly check the metabolic (electrolyte) profile, especially the potassium level.
If you are on ACE-i medications for control of BP, the potassium level will rise further.

Muscle spasms can be due to high or low potassium levels unrelated to physical activity. It is also important to check CK levels (creatine kinase), exclude drug interactions such as with cholesterol lowering agents (statins), so see your rheumatologist.
A neurologist opinion would be required to exclude muscle disorders but in lupus, it is almost invariable either a drug interaction or the disease process.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.