Muscle spasm on the shoulder. MRI showing minor arthritis. EMG done on upper limbs. Minor carpal tunnel syndrome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have muscle spasm on my left shoulder more than 3 month now. Pain on my upper back and my neck. I did IMR on my neck I have minor arthritis. And the doctor told me that he does not think this is the cause of my shoulder pain. I did IMR on my shoulder. They did not find anything. I did EMG on upper limbs. everything was okay. just minor carpal tunner on both wrist. Doctor pls help me
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
A persistent pain in the shoulder with normal MRI can be due to Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing any activity and hence pain. Since you have minor arthritic changes in your neck, mild nerve compression can also cause such a pain.
Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply hot compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.
Taking muscle relaxants will also help with your symptoms.
If the symptoms are severe then you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Muscle spasm on the shoulder. MRI showing minor arthritis. EMG done on upper limbs. Minor carpal tunnel syndrome 17 hours later
thanks for answering my question. Doctor did EMG on my neck .He said that I do not have nerve compression on my neck.and I was tested for rotator cuff I do not have.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If all these causes have been ruled out and the pain is persistent, then psychological factor must be considered. Other possible causes are calcium or vitamin D3 deficiency or a myofascial syndrome.
You need to have a simple blood test to assess the serum calcium and D3 levels.
In case of myofascial syndrome, mild pain killers and muscle relaxants taken on a regular basis do provide a symptomatic relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.