Muscle pull in chest, painful when sneezing or coughing

Question
I woke up a week ago with which I thought was a pulled muscle in my left chest. It's been a week and it's getting harder to push and pull because of the pain. When I sneeze or cough it hurts bad, and it's to even roll over when I sleep. Someone told me It's a broken rib but I don't remember anything to have done that.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 41 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more details in order to come to a better conclusion

1. What is the type of pain? Is it catching, pulling, dull or pricking type?
2. Are you coughing too often ? Are you having any expectoration?
3. Are you exercising regularly?
4. Is your asthma under control? What are your medications for it?
5. Have you taken any pain killer to releive yourself from the pain?
Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Muscle pull in chest, painful when sneezing or coughing 2 hours later
It's more of a pulling pain over my chest muscle and it's more sore around the same side of my backside of my rib cage. Of coarse if i stay still its ok but even take a XXXXXXX breath i can feel it. Coughing not that much and breathing is not short or heavy. My exercising has be cut short to me going out of state but I think I'm still in ok condition. My asthma is doing good no flares seems to be under control. I took 400mg of Advil but it didn't work.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the detailed reply

It looks like a typical musculo skeletal pain. Here is what you should do

1. Give adequate rest to that particular area, do not engage in chest exercises
2. Anti inflammatory drugs and analgesics like tramadol would be ideal which has to be taken for about 5 days. Please approach your doctor for a prescription. Advil is a weak anti inflammatory and a pain killer.
3. Hot packs over the area can help too

Muscle catch/pull can take upto 2 weeks to get better because the torn muscle fibre takes time to re generate. But if it gets worse than this I recommend your approach an internist for a chest x XXXXXXX

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further ones

I wish you a speedy recovery