Muscle pain all over the body. What is wrong?

I have a muscle problem throughout my body that causes my muscles to ache and hurt whenever I use them in ordinary, everyday activities. Even flexing them can cause pain. Rest always makes them feel better and returns them to normal, but then as soon as I use them again they ache and hurt. The more strain I put upon them, the more they hurt. The more and the longer I use them, the worse they get. This all started almost 2 years ago with my back muscles. They were knotting and would become weary and weak with use and hurt, but would recuperate when I rested them by sitting in an armchair with my back against its back. My back muscles got better over time, but the condition never left. I still experience weakness, weariness and slight pain in my left back muscles from time to time. Then, about a year ago, my thigh muscles became affected. They became sore and hurt whenever I walked. Through this past year this muscle condition would get better and then worse, and then better again. It never went away entirely, even during my best times. (This muscle condition is really weird. There have been days when I could barely walk, and then an hour later I am able to walk all over Walmart shopping.) About a week ago I was having a particular severe attack--I didn't even go to church because I could barely walk-- when it spread to my upper arms, which had been just fine. Now the biceps and the triceps of my upper arms ache and hurt when I do everyday activities such as cook, vacuum, lift anything heavy, or support myself with my arms. As soon as I rest them they recuperate and feel just fine, just like my thighs and back muscles. What is wrong with me?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medium sized fibromyalgia

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam

Welcome to healthcare magic

First after analyzing your case completely, let me give you some of the causes for pain involving medium muscles.
1. fibromyalgia
2. Infections like flu
3. Drugs like - ACE inhibitors, statins which are taken in cardiac and diabetes conditions.
4. Dermatomyolysis - inflammation and rash.
5. Polymyositis - inflammation and pain

In your case I clearly dont know your drug history so review it, If you can tell me the lsit of medicines that you are taking. You may need to change for some alternative and discuss with your doctor.

You have not mentioned any recent history of fever or flu like symptoms so let us not consider it.

Most probably it might be due to fibromyalgia or polymyositis.

So to confirm our findings you might need further investigations such as urine myoglobin estimation, C reactive protien, ESR and complete blood count.

Consult a rheumatologist and also get his opinion regarding this.

Hope information is helpful.
Follow-up: Muscle pain all over the body. What is wrong? 10 hours later
Thank you. Your analysis is very helpful. I've been reading up on my symptoms and have wondered whether I don't have fibromyalgia. The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is that I don't have the pressure points that are characteristic of this disease and that my muscles don't experience extreme pain. The pain isn't bad and very tolerable--just debilitating--and goes away when I rest. I have been experiencing a general ill-feeling on some mornings and a weakness throughout my body, which I read is also characteristic of fibromyalgia.
The only medicine I take is 2.5mg of oxybutynin daily for an overactive bladder. (I break a 5mg in half.) At bedtime I often take 600mg of Ibuprofen for pain. I toss and turn a lot, and that causes the muscles in my thighs to hurt. I experience no sleeplessness, which is supposed to be another symptom of fibromyalgia.
I sometimes get this feeling that I'm not getting enough air and then I have to take deep and frequent breaths. Along with that comes an unnatural tiredness and the need to yawn. Could that be connected?
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good sign

Detailed Answer:

It is very good sign that you dont have fibromyalgia. But still it is very important for you to check urine myoglobin because it may reveal some more details as most of the diseases run silently now a days.
Secondly excessive tiredness might be due to oxidative stress or loss of microvitamins. Yawning is due to low oxygen Supply to the brain. It is not critical but a good amount of exercise. Will improve the condition.