Multiseptated cystic lesion arising from the left ovary, premenopausal, USG. Surgery essential?

Question
I have a 5.1 x 3.8 x 5.6 cm multiseptated cystic lesion arising from the left ovary. My doctor wants to remove it surgically immediately. Is this necessary?, It seems so quick. Could we wait and repeat an USG in a couple of months. She says that it won't go away on its own. Is this true? I am premenopausal.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query

The treatment of the cyst depends on the size,composition of the cyst,age of the patient,severity,associated symptoms etc.
Considering your age,size of the cyst and being multiseptated surgery is a better option to go for.Multiseptated lesions pose greater risk as it can spread up and pain and other symptoms might increase with time.
Drugs are usually not very much effective in treating it and surgery is the only choice left as it removes the entire cyst.Since you are perimenopausal there is no point in leaving it.In my opinion it is advisable to go for a surgery and no need to delay it.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.