Multiple seizures, migraines, stress. On medication. No family history. Causes for seizures?

Hello, I have a friend who is experiencing multiple seizures per day, and he is not sure why he's having them. 17 year old male presented with experiencing tremors/seizures (aware, APVU ALERT) .No known history of family issues (diseases etc.).No psychological event to initiate "chain", sporadic, 3-4 daily frequency. Patient experiences migraines during AND after events, extending a few hours. Starts at the back left, progresses throughout head. Pain described as "unbearable" and "throbbing/hammering".
Eating habits are limited. Drinking habits also limited.Query malnutrition.Alcohol habits to be reviewed (query withdrawal ?)He has been very, very stressed as of lately with respect to his life and changes around him.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Your friend is suffering from a complicated issue which can be best treated in a multi speciality hospital as soon as possible. Seizures can lead to permanent injuries to the brain and reduce his cognitive abilities later in life.
I suggest that you consult a neurologist as soon as possible. He needs to be evaluated completely and treated appropriately.
Recurrent seizures can due to the following causes
1. Infections of the cerebrum
2. Electrolyte disturbances
3. Intracranial space occupying lesions like cyst, tumours
4. Parasitic diseases like neurocystocercosis and tuberculosis
5. Sepsis with septic encephalopathy

He needs to be worked up in detail. It is a serious medical condition.

Also please use the following advice

1. He must be supervised constantly and should never be left all by himself preferably by a trained staff
2. Keep the light in the room dim
3. Complete bed rest
4. Soft bland diet and the bed should be propped up to 45 degrees, in case he vomits it will prevent it from going into his lungs during seizures
5. A mouth guard during seizure is to be inserted to prevent tongue bite
6. Avoid travelling

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further follow up queries.
I wish your friend a speedy recovery

With regards