Multiple peripheral follicles, right ovary removed due to torsion. Left ovary no adnexal mass. Advise ?

My 20 yr old daughter recently had her right ovary and tube removed due to torsion. What do I need to do to help ensure her left ovary is still viable. She has been diagnosed with multiple peripheral follicles. Her left ovary measures 4.2 x 3.5 x 2.8. no adnexal masses.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 47 minutes later

Ovarian torsion is twisting of the ovary and is an emergency. It occurs due to the influence of another disease or conditions such as ovarian cyst, trauma, tumor of the tubes etc.

Even if she has one ovary and she ovulates she should not have any problems in fertility later.

Since she was treated on time the prognosis can be considered good. It would not have affected her left ovary.

But right now there are no known methods to prevent torsion of the ovary. Birth control pills have helped woman and she is already on them.

You can consider having a regular follow up, so that any changes as ovarian cysts can be diagnosed if present.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.