Multiple lipoma all over the body, spread occurred in hands and hip. Any treatment to stop spreading ?

Oncologist
Question
i have multiple lipoma all over the body, many spread occured in my hip and in hands. In hip the spread is not like in round sized, that seems like stripes many.

Any treatment available for removal or to stop spreading?

Thank you Doc
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Cancer
Follow-up: Multiple lipoma all over the body, spread occurred in hands and hip. Any treatment to stop spreading ? 3 minutes later
i have many lipomas in my cheek, fore arms, under arms, back etc. All these lipoma are not making any pain. Many lipoma spread in my hip area, these are making dicomfort some times making pain if i press on that.

Please help me , is there any treatment to avoid further spreading?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

In some patients development of lipomas may occur all over the body. These lipomas are not malignant. It is important at the same time that at least one of these lipomas is biopsied and evaluated by a pathologist to again make sure that this is not a malignant process.

It is important to understand that there are no approved medications at this time to treat the nine lipomas. The only real treatment that you can obtain is via a surgeon. A surgeon can remove the lipomas which are causing a problem in a daily function or in the case that they may be somewhat disfiguring.

Otherwise there may be some experimental therapies which are possibly available but I am not aware of any of these which have shown any success whatsoever.

I can understand that this is a frustrating type of thing to deal with and I hope you have discussed this in detail with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Multiple lipoma all over the body, spread occurred in hands and hip. Any treatment to stop spreading ? 22 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the reply. I have few more questions about lipoma. I have got more than 50 stripes like thing in my hip area. Is that also lipoma?
Will lipoma occur in lengthy shape?
Should i avoid fatty foods?
Will it spread all over the body even more?
What will happen if i get lipoma all over the body? Will it become life threatening?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

Let me reassure you that it is highly unlikely that lipomas will cause any type of life-threatening illness. As I mentioned before I think it is important that you visit with your biopsy one of these lipomas to make sure it is truly benign. It is highly likely that these are benign as well which you should certainly know.

Lipomas can come in many shapes and sizes including round and circular as well as more of a thin or linear area of swelling.

Diet does not generally play a role in generation health lipoma but I think it would be good for you to try to keep to a low-fat diet.

Regarding what you have mentioned around your hip I am not completely sure I understand what you're talking about. If you are talking about a linear collection of areas of swelling this could certainly be lipoma. If there is some skin change associated with this I would be happy to take a look at a photo if you send one to my attention at the following email Address: YYYY@YYYY with subject as attention to Dr. Robert Galamaga.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my responses to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I am here for you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Multiple lipoma all over the body, spread occurred in hands and hip. Any treatment to stop spreading ? 3 hours later
I thank you very much for your valuable reply. I met a general doctor and he refered a surgeon, both had said this is lipoma. But they didn't do any biopsy, My concern is is that mandatory to do biopsy? Can they simply judge that this is lipoma?

In my hip " yes many they are linear in shap (more than 50 in both side) ". Some places making pain if i press on that, some donesn't make any. Will lipoma make pain?

And i did read some articles that consuming more lemon will try to reduce the spreading of lipoma and will reduce the size also. Is that true?
WWW.WWWW.WW

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 38 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your follow-up question.

Regarding the lipoma which you have near your hip these can sometimes cause some degree of pain. The fact that there is pain does not mean that these are malignant. If you do have pain which is uncomfortable you may be a candidate for surgery to remove some of the more bothersome lipomas.

If you have one of the lipomas removed this can be sent to a pathologist for a thorough examination. I really think that what you're dealing with is a benign process and your surgeon and regular doctor are reassuring you of that as well.

I reviewed the information which you submitted regarding dietary modification. Honestly they would have to conduct a very large randomized controlled clinical trial in order to really prove that this type of supplementation will have some type of impact on lipomas. I do not see any problem with you trying this and there is really no harm in doing so. I do not think that there will necessarily be any significant or dramatic change in the lipomas if you do increase the amount of lemon in your diet.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert