Multiple fracture seen on femoral head. Is it safe to go for ceramic THR implant?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Age: 51
Gender : Male
Habits : Alcholic
Sugar : Nil( Had traces of sugar in earlier tests)
1) For last six months my dad was unable to walk properly due to problem in hip. Doctor after taking MRI they suggest THR for my dad for his hip. They said femoral head has multiple fractures..
2) does ceramic THR implant preferable. I heard it has less track record because it was new technology? Please suggest the best implant with manufacturer..
3)What will be approximate cost of THR with ceramic and steel implant in India?
4) Is it suggestible to go for THR or do he has any other alternative?
5) What will be the life of both ceramic and steel implants?
6) Will there be any impact to his normal life after this surgery?
7) What facility we should look in the hospital before I choose some surgeon for this operation?

Please understand this is critical stage for my dad, so I am looking for some detailed explanation from you.
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through the report attached with the query.

Before making a decision about what type of hip replacement is best for your father, understand the known risks and benefits of what is available for use, and remember that new may not mean better or longer.

There is no consensus in the orthopedic community regarding the single “best” bearing or material. The choice generally comes down to your surgeon’s preference. Each surgeon has innumerable reasons for choosing one device over another, including his or her personal experience as well as tool and implantation method preferences.

Because of its durability and performance, Metal-on-Polyethylene has been the leading artificial hip component material chosen by surgeons since hip replacement surgeries were first been performed. It is also the least expensive bearing.

Estimated cost for ceremic on ceremic is Rs 1,00,000 and metal on metal is Rs 1,10,000.

Your father will be able to resume most activities; however, he may have to change how he does them. For example, he will have to learn new ways of bending down that keep his new hip safe.

Hospital should be well-equipped with orthopedic operation theatre, well trained staff familiar with THR, having ICU facility.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health
Dr Saurabh Gupta