Ask a Dentist   »  

Multiple abscesses in mouth with itching. What is wrong?

27, female, 160lb. Multiple abscesses in mouth one in gums. When popped it was blackish underneath. It drained and the area is white. Still have abscesses now everything itches like a tooth coming in. What is going on?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: ulcerations, allergic reactions, bacterial& viral Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to Heathcaremagic Forum, Multiple abscesses in mouth can be due to various reasons few are; -Recurrent aphtous ulcerations which may be due to immunologic abnormalities, vitamin deficiencies,traumatic incidents, hormonal factors, psychic factors. -Allergic reactions to foods or drugs. -Bacterial and viral infections like boils, HMD, herpes etc. -Gingival and periodontal diseases. A thorough clinical examination and evaluation by the Dentist is required to determine the correct diagnosis and treatment plan. Meanwhile you can follow this at home; -At home go for symptomatic treatment like gargles with lukewarm saline water to give a soothing effect. -Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles like betadine twice daily. -If you are having pain take NSAID Ibuprofen 200mg BD. -Apply METROGYL oral ointment topically over the affected area. -Take multivitamin suplements. -Take cap resticlin 250mg OD for 4 days, one capsule to be disposed in 50 ml of water and used as a mouthwash. -Take complete balanced diet. -Avoid anxiety, stress take sound sleep. -If you are having any hormonal imbalances get it checked by the Physician. -Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated. Follow the instructions and you will surely improve with the condition, in case of further questions do write to me and i will get back to you. Wishing you a healthy recovery, Regards, Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: Multiple abscesses in mouth with itching. What is wrong? 13 hours later
The above info has helped greatly. The skin on my cheek and upper jaw feels like its peeling. Now this is not the roof of my mouth but the outer part. When I smile or move my face it hurts. It feels like its draining or bleeding though there is no blood when I brush. There is an iron like taste or metal like taste in my mouth. If something is between the gums the pain is greatly lessened. I no longer have a fever. Have you ever heard of this? What causes it and what should I do? I have also used peroxide to rinse before contacting you as everyone advised it. I wonder could peroxide cause this? I havecsent another message but not sure you got it. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi, Detailed Answer: Welcome back, From your clinical symptoms i suppose that you are having infection in the gum and periodontium, i would suggest you to consult to a Periodontist and get complete mouth scaling and polishing and curettage, also take a course of antibiotics and analgesics under the prescription of your Dentist. Gargling with lukewarm saline will be beneficial. Redness, itching swelling on throat and face are few side effects of peroxide mouthwash if you observe any of them consult to the Dentist immediately. Hope you find this as helpful, Regards...