Mucus like brown discharge post ovulation period, planning for pregnancy. Had ovarian cysts. What can cause the discharge?

Hello, we have been trying to conceive for less than a year now, so i have been paying attention to my body/symptoms every month. I've noticed I get brown mucus-like discharge about 5-6 days past ovulation almost every month, but I am not pregnant. The discharge comes for one day or even just after one 'wipe' after using the restroom, then it goes away. Then nothing else until I get my period about 2 weeks after. Can you please help me understand what the brown discharge is and if there's anything to worry about? Also, I have had ovarian cysts, not sure if that helps in determining the issue.
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

Brown discharge can be due to ovarian problems, hormonal imbalance, stress, anxiety, crashed dieting, use of birth control pills, change in environment, excessive exercise etc. In your case, it can be due to ovarian causes which can cause both: brown spotting in between the periods and problems in conceiving.

It can also cause irregular periods, heavy irregular vaginal bleeding, hair loss, acne and dry skin and depression.

You should consult a gynecologist and get a complete hormonal profile done. For PCOS, diagnostic tests are 2 hr GTT,serum androgen and testosterone levels,LH-FSH ratio,prolactin levels,TSH levels,17-hydroxyprogesterone levels and 3D ultrasound. You should get these tests done from a gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.