Mucus in stools, straining during BM, had hemorrhoid excised, have skin tages. Had fistula. What is your take on skin tags?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello. My issue is persistent mucus. This just developed after straining in my bowel movement. I'm a 30 year old straight male. 4 years ago I strained and a painful hemmorhoid came out. eventually it disappeared and reappeared. I had it excised twice two-three years ago, then skin tags developed. This is the point where mucus seepage occured and it interfered with my social and professional life. Gas and acidity was also rampant back then. Now, gas and acidity is gone but the mucus and its developed odor after prolonged storage in "the deepest recesses of my perenium" lol is the new issue. two weeks ago, I had anoplasty from an experienced colorectal surgeon. the mucus was gone after one week, but then it seems it is returning(although not as much as before). my surgeon told me my prolapsed mucosa was removed plus my extra skin tags. i looked into it when I started healing and i saw a -reduced- skintag which looks like its still obstructing my sphincter. I have tried a lot of solutions and I will go back to my doctor after holy week. for a follow up. I was also diagnosed with a fistula when I was young but I forgot to tell my surgeon about it. they would have seen it right? my question is, is this an outside sphincter issue or an XXXXXXX hemmorhoid one. so many people are experiencing this as I research the web. so we really need an excellent doctor to explain this and plan our course of action in dealing with this bothersome issue.thank you - XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 53 minutes later

Thanks for your query

I can understand the stress you would be facing

I am a colorectal surgeon and 25 years in individual practice

I will try my best to sort out your issues

Your history is suggestive of a hemorrhoid surgery, with removal of tags
You have not mentioned what happened to the fistula that you had in childhood

Did you get it operated?
Did it resolve completely?
Is it persistently there?

Mucus can be because of three major causes in your case:
1] Mucus collitis
2] Prolapsed mucosa
3] Fistula in ano

Considering the fact that an anoplasty has been done, I would rule out prolapsing mucosa

For fistula in ano you can go for a high resolution sonography or a MRI

Get a stool examination done to rule out mucus collitis

Hope this helps
Get back to me with the information & we can sort the issue in a better manner

Get well Soon

Follow-up: Mucus in stools, straining during BM, had hemorrhoid excised, have skin tages. Had fistula. What is your take on skin tags? 7 minutes later
ok thank you doc. regarding your questions:

1. I was around 10-14 years of age when a doctor said I had fistula but then my mom have me checked again by our doctor and said it went away. it was never operated on. so far there were no mucus BEFORE the hemmorhoid incident back in 2006.

my mom had me checked due to fecal seepage before.

2. yes prolapsing mucosa was removed by my doctor/surgeons two weeks ago doc.

3. yes I will ask my colorectal surgeon about fistula in ano. and report.

however I havent heard of mucus colitis so I will tell my doctor about that too.

Thank you very much for the fast reply doctor. :) I will update you after I get checked again. btw, the blue spool you see are the post op spools for the skin tags removed and one hanging out from the inside, from the mucosa.

After one week btw doc, I eliminate big bulky stool due to my intake of cilium fiber. do you think it has damaged the sewn tissue?

is this mucus normal after surgery two weeks ago, it could be that I am not yet healed completely. I am very grateful for the new information and the second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 59 minutes later

Thanks for your followup

If your mother had consulted a caregiver for fecal seepage, was it incontinence ?How did it get corrected?

Fistula hardly heals by itself, either there was error in interpretation or the fistula is persistent

Mucus collitis has lot of factors causing it, yet I would recommend you get a stool examination done and if it has pus cells, get a culture report done

No the fiber cannot cause any damage to the sewn tissue, but I see a residue in the pictures ,either it has been left intentionally or it is a new development

In some cases yes, again here the stool report will confirm everything

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Mucus in stools, straining during BM, had hemorrhoid excised, have skin tages. Had fistula. What is your take on skin tags? 1 hour later
got it doc. not sure if it was incontinence doc. the fistula was never operated on since it did not bother me with anything. thing is I had a bad habit of trying to hold it in when having a Bowel movement. the incontinence/staining may be due to that. i learned to control that eventually. but now, due to the funny structure of my anus now, it's interfering with my cleaning of it.

I'll go on a fistula investigation and give you a stool report asap. :)

by residue, do you mean a little layer of mucosa again? or the yellowishone. I purposefully took a pic of that one where there is a little bit of stool which shows how hard it is to clean up. like stool gets stuck or something/

thanks so much for the support doc. i'll do my best to get the report as soon as possible after your reply. I will rate you well for sure.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 minutes later

Thanks for your followup

A wise advice to all children we give is never try to hold the motion, now that you have learnt to control it am sure there should be no problem with continence

Will wait for the stool and fistula report

By residue I mean a loose skin in the anterior aspect of your perineum, at times we deliberately leave it so that there is no fissure caused by stretching of the perianal skin during passing stool

If it is not bothering you just forget it

Hope this helps
Get well soon and report back when investigations are done