Mucus in stool. Anything wrong?

General Surgeon
My husband as noticed some clear looking mucous following his bowel movement. Happened 2X once yesterday and once today. Coumadin should read 2.5 instead of 0.5 daily
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A physical examination needed for diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

If there is no constipation or loose motions (that is to say if there is no change in his bowel movement), it may not of any serious concern. It could be due to the existing diverticular disease of the colon. However, if I were his treating doctor, I would go for a routine stool test for ova and cyst, followed by a complete physical examination including a per rectal examination. Depending on this I may also decide for further investigation in his case like a colonoscopy. I will not risk not examining him before labeling it a non significant finding.

Therefore, I would suggest you to take appointment with your treating doctor for a general and local examination for your husband to arrive at a conclusion.

In the mean time, he should continue with his present medications. He can add high roughage diet with enough liquids in his diet, which his doctor must have advised due to diverticulosis.

I hope I have answered your query. Thanks for using XXXXXXX forum to clear doubts on your health. If you have any further doubt, please do not hesitate to ask. Take care. Dr Shareef.