Mri scan show non-specific signal changes in frontal and parietal white matter. What does it mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
mri scan conclusion show non-specific signal changes in both frontal and parietal white matter may be due to ischemia or gliosis. what does that mean? could it be migraine only or more serious damaged to brain that needs to seek further medical help?There are punctuate foci in bothfrontal and parietal white mattershowing raised T2 and FLAIR signal.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Non specific signal changes in white matter do not necessarily indicate a disease process. These generalized changes are not likely to cause migraine.
Most of the times such changes do not have any clinical significance.
The lesions found in your case are non progressive. Thus are more indicative of a benign chance finding. In the absence of any clinical signs and symptoms, the significance of these white matter lesions are difficult to assess.
There is no serious health issue with you.
A lot of work has been done to determine the significance of white matter lesions. The thinking now is that they represent ischemia (lack of blood flow) in the small blood vessels of the brain. Hence they are also at times referred to as ischemic small vessel disease. Hence these lesions are more commonly seen in the MRI of patients who have cerebrovascular risk factors like hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol as well those that smoke. Their incidence increases with age.
You need to be assessed for any cognitive or behavioural deficit.
Hence I advise you to follow with your neurologist. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Mri scan show non-specific signal changes in frontal and parietal white matter. What does it mean? 13 hours later
If there is indeed lack of blood flow in the small blood vessel Are they reversible?what
Way can the doctor findout if indeed problem exist? What technique?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
A neurologist can detect any pathology after a detailed examination.
There are different tests to identify the neurological and cognitive deficits.
Lack of blood flow can be reversed partly by controlling the risk factors like hypercholesterolaemia, smoking, alcohol, genetic predisposition, diabetes, oxidative damage, etc.
Hope my answer is helpful.