Ask a Dentist   »  

Movement of front teeth while chewing and eating. Normal?

Dentist, Pedodontics
I have a little question about my teeth. My front teeth(incisor) are very close, so when I floss between my teeth I can see the tooth to move slightly( very slightly) this is really uncomfortable to watch. But my question is, whether this is okey and are teeth really a little flexible when you for example chew and eat. I haven't had problem with my teeth, but I just saw this yesterday and ofcourse the teeth have to move slight so the flosser can get between them; but I really want to ask anyway.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 5 hours later

Thank you for posting an interesting query.

Actually, this movement of your tooth is quite normal.

Our each tooth is supported by tiny ligaments called periodontal ligament, which holds the tooth in the jaw bone. These ligaments present between the tooth root surface and the jaw bone surrounding the tooth.

This acts like a suspension and which saves our tooth from breakage, while we chew something hard. Actually, each single tooth can move up to 0.5 mm on vertical or horizontal direction depending upon the pressure it is receiving.

Hope this will clarify your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.