Ask a Dentist   »  

Movable bump inside cheek after eating. What should I do?

ENT Specialist

I hope you remember me. A few days ago we discussed a bump/swollen area in my cheek. You had given me some great advice and I just wanted to follow up for my own peace of mind.

I first noticed this bump 5 days ago after eating some crunchy food. It is a pea sized bump near the Stensen duct. It is floppy, as if the tissue was cut away from the inner cheek. It is not hard. As it is floppy, it freely moves around by my tongue. When my mouth is closed, it is next to my teeth. When my mouth is open, it is in the middle of the two sets of teeth. It previously had a white head and was painful. Currently, since I assume the healing process has begun, it is a little smaller and no longer has pain or a white head. Per your previous advice, after the white head went away, so did the pain. But the bump still lingers.

I would like any advice on this and what to do. I'm also a big worrier so I would like additional confirmation this still does not resemble a tumor or something crazy like an hpv oral wart.

I have attached two photos of the bump as it was originally on Day 1, and 2 photos as it is today on Day 5. You should be able to tell which are which by the redness and white head.

Thank you very much!
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query and images

After going through your past and present images, I do feel the ulcer has completely resolved and the growth like thing you are perceiving is the normal papillary opening of the Stensen's duct.

I have posted links of few images of the normal Stensen's duct, for your reference:

Do not worry! It is perfectly normal and it is neither a wart or any tumor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Movable bump inside cheek after eating. What should I do? 23 hours later
WOW thank you for posting the photos - that was extremely helpful! The side that had the pain and swelling is larger than the other side, but I guess that will even out with time.

While I have you here, I would like to inquire about something in the same general area. For 6 months, the hard palate of my mouth has been white in color. It is not a lesion nor patch...but a defined area with defined lines. My dentist has examined and said it looks like something was pressed against it, like my tongue when I was asleep or know, something I don't realize I'm doing. It is not sore, though it feels a little rougher than it used to. I first noticed this after I had a thrush yeast infection from antibiotics 6 months ago. I do not have HIV or any other STD, my health is good and my immune system is great. I do not smoke nor do I drink. Photo attached.

I'd just love to have your opinion on this before we close the conversation.

I want to say thank you for always being so helpful and informative. I have gotten answers from you multiple times on this site and every time you are my top choice.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 26 minutes later

Welcome back

Yes, the inflamed Stensen’s duct papilla will reduce in size once the inflammation disappears completely.

Thanks for posting the image; after examining it thoroughly, I feel, it is a normal mucosal lining over the hard palate. The mucosa over the hard palate looks pale in most of the individuals because of the tight stretching of the mucosa over the bone of the hard palate. And, the rough area felt over the hard palate is due to the presence of the rugae (series of ridges produced by folding of the wall of the mucosa). The rugae becomes rougher when it is exposed to irritating substances such as hot food & beverages/dry, sharp & rough food (such as chips, crackers), etc. Drink lots of warm water and consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, this helps in keeping the mucosa moist and healthy.

It is great to know that you are a tea-totaller; I wish you good health. It was indeed wonderful chatting with you and I would be glad to answer any of your queries in the future too.

Good luck

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon