Ask a Dentist   »  

Mouth ulcers recurrent, covered one side of mouth. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi doctor,

My Uncle is having ulcers in mouth from almost 2 years, earlier it was very small and after having some medicine it use to be fine but now a days it increased so much that it covered almost one side of mouth.

Please let me know for suggestions.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Recurrent ulcers in the oral cavity are often associated with co morbid conditions like uncontrolled diabetes, vitamin deficiencies and poor oral hygeine.
Since the ulcer is recurrent, its chances of being malignant are there. The nature of ulcer can only be identified after a biopsy.
Most of the symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the ulcer. Ask him to use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate his mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

He can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplements. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen can also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance.
Regular control of blood glucose levels are also necessary to control any infections.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Mouth ulcers recurrent, covered one side of mouth. Suggestions? 38 minutes later
Thank You Very much doctor for replying my question and seems all situations hold for me.

Can you please suggest me some Doctor to whom we can directly XXXXXXX
As my uncle is staying in pratapgarh(U.P.), it'll be very good to have Doctor in UP itself or in B'lore.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
To find a good periodontist in Pratapgarh, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
WWW.WWWW.WW Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.