Ask a Dentist   »  

Mouth ulcer and swollen salivary glands,taking metrogyl and doxycycline.Suggestion ?

I'm having mouth ulcer and swollen salivary glands at the same side of my mouth for almost 3 weeks, what medicine should I take?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 23 minutes later

Swollen salivary glands can be indicative of infection which can be bacterial,viral in nature as mumps, due to injury,cyst formation,stones and rarely tumour.

Usually one sided swelling along with mouth ulcer are indicative of bacterial infection itself.Poor oral hygeine and dehydration can contribute to it.

The treatment depends on the cause as if it is bacterial in nature then antibiotics would help in it.

You require a clinical examination which would help in the diagnosis and then the treatment would be decided accordingly.

Some measures:

1)Have a healthy balanced diet.

2)Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day.

3)Apply hot compresses on the cheek

4)Practice good oral hygeine and rinse the mouth with any antibacterial solution.

5)Avoid smoking and alcohol.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: Mouth ulcer and swollen salivary glands,taking metrogyl and doxycycline.Suggestion ? 5 hours later
Ok, doctor, I have just consulted a doctor, he gave me 2 antibiotics; 1) metrogyl 400, 1 tablet 2 times a day 2) doxycycline hydrochloride, 1 tablet a night

5 days course.

And a gel to apply into the ulcer;

My questions;

1) is this medicines ok?

2) the gel is quite difficult to apply, is it ok if I dont apply it?

Please reply
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You have been given the right Antibiotics and you should get relief from them.

The gel is for ulcers and it causes numbness in the area when applied. If you are not comfortable with it you can avoid using it.

I hope this helps.

Wish you speedy recovery.