Mouth twitching, eye twitching. Worried.

I have been having mouth twitching for 5 months, it stopped for two days but continues from the time I awake in the morning. It is to the point that it is worrisome. if i exercise, it starts up. I am at my wits end with this because I have had an eye twitch in the past that has resloved without much effort, this twitch lingering for 5-6 months seems problematic.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there

Thank you for posting your question here.

Mouth twitching usually comes under the same category of neurological disorders as "facial tics". A common cause of facial tics in an adult is stress and anxiety. A kind of vicious circle may operate here. Trying to cover up the tic causes anxiety and this anxiety of this causes the tic.

Management of this problem in the first place is, if you can at all, to remove any anxiety and stress in your life. This is best done by facing up to your stressors and dealing with them.

An additional help might be to learn self-hypnosis techniques specifically designed to control and ultimately eliminate this problem.

As a final piece of advise I would counsel against allowing a doctor put you on any strong anti-psychotic medication. This may well control your facial tics alright but, in my opinion, at too high a price in terms of potential side-effects.

I hope you found this useful and will accept my answer. Thanks again.
Follow-up: Mouth twitching, eye twitching. Worried. 3 hours later
What about a brain tumor?
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 9 hours later

Thank you for your follow-up question.

I would rate brain tumour, as a potential cause of your oral tic, as an exceedingly remote possibility. So remote in fact that I would not even consider going down that road in terms of investigating this problem.

The fact that you have a propensity to develop muscular twitch in the past would, if anything, make brain tumor even less likely.

By the way, injection of Botox is another potential management strategy that I forgot to mention. But again, try the simpler things first.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.