Mouth sores, fever, bleeding, sore throat, swollen glands, runny nose. What is going on?

Have swores in my mouth, a fever, spotting/bleeding, swore throat, swollen glands, runny nose. What on earth is going on with me? already had my period a wek ago! worried.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 4 hours later

Thank you for your query,

Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, enlarged tonsils with exudates, runny nose, fever - these signs of upper respiratory tract infection.

You must to know that majority of cases are of viral origin but some cases are bacterial (most frequently with Streptococcus). You may clarify easily with few tests: rapid antigen test and culture. I would want you to do this through the help your local physician because viral infection do not require antibiotic treatment.

If bacteria is ruled out infection is self limited (within few days) and treatment is symptomatic with drugs like Paracetamol / Ibuprofen and local gargle solutions. In case of bacterial confirmation , then you need definitely antibiotic therapy and most effective are Penicillin group. This can be prescribed by your Doctor.

Your other concern about spotting, I presume you are talking about vaginal bleed / spots. If I am wrong please correct me in your follow up. I would want to tell you that mild spotting is a common occurrence. It doesn't need evaluation if the amount of bleeding is very minimal or if doesn't recur in the subsequent cycles. So do not worry.

Hope I have addressed all your concerns.

I wish you speedy recovery and if you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Follow-up: Mouth sores, fever, bleeding, sore throat, swollen glands, runny nose. What is going on? 8 hours later
Thankyou you did better than the ER did. They didnt perscribe me anything. Said it was a viral virus, infection. Also, said it would take its course. They mentioned Ibuprophen but that was all. I plan on taking Robitussion and Ibuprophen together im in much pain. Thankyou for everything. I will use this website more thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 13 hours later

You are most welcome.

I wish you speedy recovery and healthy life.

PS: additionally to your treatment you may try local gargle solutions and Strepsil as well (you can get it over the counter).

Best Regards,