Mouth chattering while lifting, Is this normal for a newborn?

Newborn mouth chattering

My little girl is three and a half weeks and I notice when i pick her up sometimes her mouth will chatter like she gets a chill. Is this normal for a newborn? Thank you!

its more like a mouth quiver i guess and it only happens when I pick her up sometimes.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 7 hours later

The chatter like movements described by you is called “jitteriness”.

Neonates have immature nervous system which gradually develops as they grow. This might cause the jittery movement in some infants for the first several weeks of birth.

If it is present occasionally since birth and your infant is healthy / active, I do not think this is something serious.

However, jitteriness can also be present in some metabolic conditions such as calcium insufficiency. I suggest you to consult your neonatologist / pediatrician for visual examination of these movements to rule out metabolic conditions.

Hope I have answered your query.

Best regards