Mother diagnosed with hepatitis. Should I get tested for it?

Jun 2015

my mom just got diagnosed with hepatitis, I think I was vaccinated against it about 20 years ago when I was 10 or 11 years old 3 times. should I get tested for it now that my mom has been diagnosed with it?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is better to get tested

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Hepatitis is caused by a various strains (types) of viruses.
And the vaccination we usually take (3 injections as mentioned in your post) gives protection only against a single strain of virus (usually Hepatitis B).
The protection of Hepatitis vaccine is likely to be at least 20 years, sometimes lifelong.
In your post you have mentioned about getting vaccinated 20 years ago, but you have not mentioned about the causative organism of the Hepatitis with which your mother has been diagnosed now.

So, based on the above mentioned fact, it is better to get yourself tested to rule out the possibility of Hepatitis. Because the virus/organism causing Hepatitis in your mother may be different from the one against which you are vaccinated.

Wishing you both a Good Health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.