Mosquito bite red lumps, itchy, prurigo simplex, scabies

my 2 yr old daughter has small mosquito looking red lumps on various parts of her body. she is un able to sleep because they areso itchy. what could they be and how can i treat them and have her get some sleep?
Posted Wed, 16 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 16 hours later

There are two possibilities in such a case where one gets such lesions on body. If your daughter is having such lesions mostly on the exposed parts of the body like lower legs or arms then it could be what is called PRURIGO SIMPLEX (also called papular urticaria). This is because of mosquito bites or when one is allergic to such bites .

The other possibility could be which we see red lesions over web-spaces (esp fingers), around genitalia and lower abdomen.Itching is more in the night..and subsides by day. Here even family members have the same problem or anybody who handles the baby.

Kindly also let me know -
1) If baby has any associated symptoms like fever or cough.
2) What are the exact body parts involved.
3) How long is she having this problem.

If you can provide me these details I can further help you with the diagnosis as in skin we need to personally see the lesions before coming to the exact diagnosis.

One symptomatic treatment which would work in both cases would be an antihistaminic syrup like hydroxicin syp taken once daily. This would give your baby good relief from itching and make her sleep well at night. This can be given at night.

For scabies, baby has to be applied with permithrine cream(5%) locally all over the body below neck at night time. Especially between web spaces and abdomen.Other family members also need to be treated same way. Clothes used by baby and all linen (bed sheet, pillow cover etc) should be washed in boiled water and ironed properly. This would take care of the mites.

If it is prurigo simplex, then one needs a mild topical steroid cream, along with good protection from mosquitoes. Use a mosquito net if possible and use full sleeved clothes for your baby.
The above medicines need a prescription and should be taken after proper consultation by a Skin Specialist.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries .