Mood swings, weird state of mind, mistakes and lack of organisation. Are these symptoms of depression or ADHD ?

Hi, I am just wondering how I can tell the difference in whether I have depression or ADHD. I am a 34 year old female and have been treated for depression over the past 10 years. I have two children now one who is actively being treated for ADHD. Lately with my work load increasing the inability to complete tasks and stay on tasks has been accumulating badly and to the point now where I can't even manage my own money. I'm constantly loosing things especially bills, I am finding I have to read things three times over before I understand it and it is now taking me more than three months to get an assignment submitted as I am also an open learning student. I have been misdiagnosed by a phyciatrist in the past saying I had bipolar and the treatment sent me to a special hospital due to thoughts of severe suicide and they had to get me of this medication. Due to the ongoing history I have had with constant problems of staying on task I am reluctant to go back to my gp saying I think they are wrong as they are really very nice and have managed a lot of my moods etc with dothep, can you please advise thoughts on this I am at wits end of waking up everyday and disapointing my clients with mistakes because I can't concentrate and the constant feeling weary state of mind and major lack of organisation
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 7 hours later

After having read through your query, I think you just need to cool down a bit, as you are overstressed, the situation may get complicated like it has been in past, unless you follow a stress management program which a psychologist / counselor may guide you after assessing you.

Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) is a versatile disease and it's no shame; infact children with ADHD may be over intellect. Similarly if you were an ADHD, the things would have been different from child hood itself.

What you suffered from was definitely a psychiatric issue that has changing patterns due to your anxiety and depression which made your doctors think you being a bipolar.

Well, the diagnosis doesn't stay for life. If you are cured as per your doctor you have full chance of being normal with or without therapy. Yes, some cases do need long term therapy and specialists balance these out after a session deciding the need for rest, sedation, stress relief and any new symptom occurrence.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Mood swings, weird state of mind, mistakes and lack of organisation. Are these symptoms of depression or ADHD ? 1 hour later
Thank you so much, this information is really helpful especially makes sense as I had no problems as a child. I did take the leap of faith and return to my gp only an hour ago as I am currently on dothep, a rather high dose, well the maximum dose and read that this can contribute to fatigue during the day as it is a sedative type one. He has taken on board past history and my current state during the day and can see I am wasted so he is switching me to cymbalta so fingers crossed this is a positive outcome and reassurance from you that ADHD is not the issue I feel better already

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 21 hours later
You are welcome XXXXXXX

Do write back if you have any further issues unanswered. I do work for ADHD.

Thanks for accepting the answer.