Mood swings, depression, taken Sertraline and Lithium. Suggestions ?

I am 20, female, i have all of these symptoms and do not have a diagnosis. A psychiatrist told me he never saw a patient like me, and could not diagnose me.He put me on Sertraline 100mg, and Lithium 900mg per day, both taken in the evenings. That was almost 2 years ago, the mood changes and depression has improved but still not great. I think the Lithium does help, but i believe the sertraline is not, though i have tried to go off it but been unable too. #
Any Suggestions of what could be wrong?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

From your history it seems that you are suffering from depression and mood changes. To get adequate response with sertraline, one has to take it for at least six weeks continuously as it shows its antidepressant effect by modulating central serotonin receptors.

If you are taking the medications regularly and still you are not getting the optimum effect then you need to discuss this with your physician so that he can give you a combination of antidepressants.

You need to remain close to your family and friends with whom you can talk and share your feelings and difficulties. Other than that some simple measures that can help you include-

1. Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises, etc.
2.Do a regular workout or exercise like aerobics.
3. Decrease sugar intake in your diet.
4. Indulge in some interesting hobbies.
5.Listen to music , go to parks or picnics with friends, etc.

These will relax your tension to a large extent and you will find your life interesting. Psychotherapy will also help you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.